Welcome to the SharePoint Online Pilot Information Page
What is SharePoint Online?
SharePoint Online is a place to securely store, organise, share, and access the Council’s information. Typically, delivery units / service areas will have their own dedicated areas to store, share and manage their working documents with colleagues, customers and partners through Office 365’s range of collaboration tools.
What are the benefits of using SharePoint?
SharePoint Online allows staff to connect with colleagues in new and creative ways, this streamlined approach to team based work allows information and knowledge to flow more freely throughout the organisation.
These core benefits include:
- Information is easily searchable using SharePoint’s build-in search functionality.
- Colleagues can easily collaborate with each other through the sharing of documents, receiving notifications and co-authoring on documents.
- Versioning allows a single point of truth, SharePoint Online is capable of retaining all versions and can make the latest version available at all times via a single link.
- Filters and views allows documents to be displayed in accordance of relevance without the use of a nested folder structure.
- Information can be easily accessible from mobile devices.
What will you find different?
During this pilot we are keen to trial new ways of working with our information. A key difference from shared drives is that folders will rarely be used and will be replaced with metadata. Metadata identifies the attributes of each file and allows users to tag documents with applicable information, such as the author, document type, year, date etc. This means you can search for files using a variety of search terms and also get to information using less clicks.
What training will be provided?
All features and functionality of the new environment will be covered in multiple training sessions. Links to associated policies, guidance, and how to guides can be found below.
How to get IT Support and Assistance